Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Step 1- Talk About It... A Lot

It's only been a day since I really decided on my goal of the Dopey Challenge, but the training and the preparation started as soon as I told myself I could do it.

I had already started running again because the weather has been so nice recently.  It's a bit on the chilly side for me, but that makes the runs that much better.  Considering I know that the summer will be here soon and the heat and humidity will be back with a vengeance, I'm trying to get my base runs back to a solid 3-4 miles before the weather becomes an issue.

However, right now the physical part of training is not the most important for me.  Right now, the most important part is getting the word out there and telling people that I'm going to do it.  I've told family, friends, coworkers, and other people I've met and struck up running conversations with... really anyone who would listen, I've told.

It's important to me, and I think anyone who has a challenging goal, to get the word out there.  It gives you a sense of responsibility to the goal, more so than just a personal one.  Now people are waiting to see you complete it.  It's a little bit more pressure, but it prevents you from creating excuses to yourself and quitting when times get hard.  It also sets up a support group to help you get through those tough times.  That's part of the reason I went back to writing a blog about this process... to make sure I finish it and find support along the way.

Most people have been encouraging and supportive.  A close friend of mine, who inspired me to complete the challenge by completing it herself this year, told me she'd be my cheerleader this time. She's also someone I'll probably lean on quite a bit as a I train for advice and opinions.  A few coworkers are also trying out some 10Ks and half marathons this year so we're all getting together and supporting each other for whatever our goals are.

Some friends are definitely thinking I'm crazy though, which I have to agree with.  Of course, you have to be a little dopey to do the Dopey Challenge... that's practically a requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment